Friday, February 12, 2010

Diaper Shower Poem

One of my best friends is having her second child, and it's going to be another boy!  Having no siblings of my own close by, I absolutely delight in the children of my friends-- some even call me "Auntie Jenny,"  and it melts my heart instantly. 

Anyhow, when she had her first child, I was not in a position to host any sort of shower for her.  I was in an very small apartment, and did not have the funds necessary to throw the kind of party I feel she deserves.  But now, I have a house, I have advanced in my career, and I have a little more experience with hosting guests.  It's time to do this right!

When parents have a second child (especially if Baby #2 is the same sex as Baby #1) it seems to me that people want to celebrate, but often do not since Baby Showers are usually thrown for Baby #1.  This makes me sad, because I am so excited for my friends' babies that I want them all to be celebrated and showered with love, attention, and small gifts just like their older brothers and sisters.  So when I heard about the concept of the "Diaper Shower," I jumped at the chance to throw this party for my friend. 

A Diaper Shower is typically thrown for babies that are second, third, fourth-born, etc. Since Mom and Dad usually already have the cribs, the car seats, high chairs, etc. there aren't many things that they will need for Baby #2 that they didn't have before.  But... they can always use essentials.  Insert Diaper Shower. 

The theme?  Diapers, diapers, and more diapers!  Depending on how strictly you want to follow theme, you can use diaper-inspired invitations, diaper-themed games, diapers as decorations... the possibilities are endless.  The idea is that family and friends have a reason to gather, celebrate, and shower Mom with all the essentials of baby care: lotions, creams, wipes, and of course, diapers. 

A dilemma raised it's head when I was working on the invitations:  how do I tell people to bring diapers in lieu of a gift without being tacky and rude?  There are no "diaper shower invitations" to buy anywhere, and besides that, most of our friends and family haven't heard of diaper showers anyway.

So, I made a poem insert to include with the invitions, and wanted to share it with you. 

It’s a Diaper Shower!
If Mommy and Daddy and Baby make three
Only a fourth could bring so much glee!
Logan is planning to share all his things,
His high chair, his crib, and even his swings;
But now needs our help, he knows what to do,
They need all the provisions for New Baby (Last Name rhymes with "do").
To save Mom the trip of searching the store,
Let’s shower Janine with essentials galore!
Diapers and “wipies” and lotions and creams,
All will be used to set the scene.
(Lotions and creams should be for sensitive skin, and
Size 1-3 diapers are what Mom needs for him.)
So come celebrate this new Baby Boy
And shower Janine with our love and our joy!

*If you prefer to bring something besides these items, you can find ideas on Janine’s registry at Babies R Us. Go to www.babiesrus.com to view her registry.

No comments:

Post a Comment